United Way of Coastal Carolina Lucky Duck Derby Official Rules
1. Seven thousand (7,000) small (Conventional) rubber ducks will be available for adoption and entry in the race. Ducks may be adopted from staff and board members of UWCC (the Presenter). Various schools and other non-profit organizations are facilitating duck adoptions in return for a 20% donation from Presenter based on the total number of adoptions they successfully process. The Presenter and those organizations are seeking both individuals and businesses to adopt ducks for a minimum donation of $5 per Conventional duck, $25 for six Conventional ducks (a “6-quack”), and $100 for 30 Conventional ducks (a “Flock”). Winners will be determined by the first adopted ducks to cross the finish line. Chances of winning depend on the total number of qualified entries.
2. Ducks will be dropped into the Neuse River at approximately 11:00 AM on April 8, 2017. Weather conditions or other interferences may affect race time. The race course will be established by the Presenter. Presenter reserves the right to change or alter the starting location or method at its discretion. If extreme circumstances beyond the reasonable control of Presenter prevent the event from occurring on April 8, 2017, winners will be determined by a random drawing of adopted duck numbers, and such drawing will be scheduled and conducted by Presenter.
3. All rubber ducks shall remain the property of the Presenter and handling and possession of the ducks will be by Presenter only. Prior to the beginning of the race, a unique number will be assigned to each duck adoption. Each duck will be assigned a unique number. Each assigned number will correspond to a unique number affixed to each of the rubber ducks. Prizes will be awarded to the adopters whose names appear on the adoption forms corresponding to the qualifying ducks crossing the finish line in the order detailed in paragraph 5 below.
4. Once ducks are dropped, they will not be handled during the course of the race, except that Presenter may manually return a duck that deviates off the race course. Presenter may also create an artificial flow of water to assist all ducks towards the finish line. Otherwise, no attempt will be made to assist or interfere with any duck unless deemed necessary by the Presenter. Floating booms will be used to establish the open water race course and contain ducks while on the race course. The booms will be used to direct the ducks to a collection trap that will serve as the finish line. All ducks will be retrieved and removed from the water following the race conclusion.
5. The first 10 adopted Conventional ducks to cross the finish line will be awarded a prize in accordance with the following schedule:
1st Place = $2,000
2nd Place =$1,250
3rd Place = $750
4th Place = $500
5th Place = $400
6th Place = $300
7th Place = $250
8th Place = $200
9th Place = $150
10th Place = $100
* Prize Package is determined by the actual number of adopted ducks.
6. Prize winners will be announced following the race. Prize winners must be 18 years of age and present valid identification. If a minor is the named holder of the duck number winning any of the prizes, that prize will be transferred to the child’s legal guardian. Winners do not have to be present to win. When necessary, winners will be notified by telephone. If a winner does not claim his/her prize from Presenter within 30 days of the conclusion of the race, Presenter reserves the right to select an alternative prize winner through a random drawing of an adoption number. A list of prize winners will be posted at www.unitedwaycoastalnc.org within 72 hours of the conclusion of the race (or drawing, if needed). By adopting one or more ducks, adopters release Presenter and its officers, directors, members and other related entities from any and all liability with respect to prizes. All local, state and/or federal taxes are the responsibility of the winner. Any required Federal and North Carolina taxes will be withheld from winnings. By adopting a duck, winners consent to the promotional use of their names and likenesses by the Presenter.
7. The entry portion of each adoption must be completely paid and delivered to the Presenter, either via electronic means on the website, by mail, or hand delivered to Presenter by 10:30 AM on April 7, 2017. Any adoptions received by mail or electronically after 10:30 AM on April 7, 2017 may not be eligible for prizes. Also, no further adoptions will be accepted by any means after all 7,000 Conventional ducks have been adopted.
8. This event is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law. United Way of Coastal Carolina Lucky Duck Derby and its logo are the property of Presenter and no other person or entity is authorized to copy or use them without the express written consent of the Presenter.
9. The Presenter reserves the right to utilize the proceeds at their own discretion.
10. No one is ineligible from participating in duck adoptions. United Way of Coastal Carolina staff and board members, spouses, household members and all sponsors are eligible to win. Presenter asserts the validity and integrity of the event, and welcomes anyone to witness the race.
Inquiries may be mailed to United Way of Coastal Carolina, P. O. Box 1385, New Bern, NC 28563.